Sunday 17 August 2008

Tex Mex Enchiladas

(Originally posted by Christina)

Tami, here’s that recipe you asked for. It’s really very Tex Mex. My Mom used to make these for us when she was low on time.

I’ll post the original and the way that I’ve modified it.

Original Tex Mex Enchiladas

Oil
Corn Tortillas
Shredded Cheese
Onions
Can of hormel chili beans (or whichever brand you prefer)

Pour some oil in a pan and warm the oil. Put 1 or 2 corn tortillas in there at a time to warm up. Place the tortillas on some paper napkins to soak up the oil.

Spray a 13×9 with cooking spray (if not making enough enchiladas to fill a 13×9 you can use an 8×8 or 9×9). Heat oven to 350.

Put shredded cheese and diced onions in the tortillas and roll them up. Place them in the 13×9 as you roll them up. Once you’re done with the tortillas, pour a can of chili beans over the top of them. Put the enchiladas in oven for about 30 minutes or until warm all the way through and cheese is melted. Take out and sprinkle more cheese on top and place in oven until cheese in melted.

Modified Tex Mex Enchiladas

I have since modified the original recipe. I don’t warm the tortillas in oil. I warm the corn tortillas in the microwave. Just enough that they are easier to role.

I use reduced fat or fat free cheese. I sometimes I added shredded chicken.

Instead of using the regular hormel chili beans, I use the hormel turkey chili with beans.

There you have it. Enjoy!

No comments: