Sunday 17 August 2008

Carne Guisada

(Originally posted by DebbieBoo)

I adapted this recipe from one I found at allrecipes.com. Hmm . . . I’d post the link but my little nifty toolbar is missing at the moment . . . maybe later . . .

2 pounds round steak, cut into bite size pieces (I buy the family-sized stew meat package from HEB, so it’s usually a bit more than 2 lbs)
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced or crushed
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 Tablespoon pepper (maybe a little less)
Salt to taste
1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat)
1 1/2 cups water
1 onion, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced

Place oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the meat and season with the garlic, cumin, pepper and salt. Saute meat until browned on all sides.

Slowly add the flour, stirring well, and saute for 1 more minute. Gradually add the water, making sure to crush any flour lumps. Then add the onion and bell pepper, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes (the longer you simmer, the more tender the meat becomes). Add salt to taste.

This goes GREAT with the Mexican Rice recipe. They both take time to make. I usually start cooking the rice and while it’s simmering I make the carne guisada. Both finish cooking about the same time and they’re DELISH!

No comments: