Sunday 17 August 2008

SpicyMeatyMexicany Chili

(Originally posted by DebbieBoo)


I make this at least once a week because it’s so stinking easy and yummy. There’s really no recipe — I just throw everything together:

2 lbs ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed (I love garlic so lot’s of time I end up using more)
spices: cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper (as much of all of this as you can handle; maybe at least a tablespoon of cumin and chili powder, a little less cayenne pepper)
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can Rotel (or any canned chopped tomatoes with green chiles)
2 8oz. cans tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the ground beef along with spices, garlic, onion and bell pepper. Drain.

Add both cans of beans (I never drain or rinse; too lazy), Rotel (again, not drained), tomato sauce and extra spices to balance out the taste (rather scientific, huh?). Cover and let simmer until it’s hot and yummy; about 20 min.

Serve by itself or with brown rice/Mexican rice. Top with grated cheese and/or sour cream.

It easily serves 6-8 people, depending on how much they eat. It also freezes nicely if you have too much left over.

Sometimes I’ll add peas or a chopped zucchini as it’s simmering. I used to add corn before I started SB.
If it sounds spicy, rest assured that it is spicy. But the spiciness is what makes it yum.

No comments: