Sunday 17 August 2008

Red Cabbage

A fair while ago, last year sometime, I believe, we got a red cabbage delivered in our organic fruit and veg box (We have a box delivered once a fortnight) so I decided to look for ways to cook it. I googled, and searched on Kalyn’s kitchen, and collected ideas from lots of different places, and came up with my own version.

I haven’t made this recipe since before I went to Texas, although we did buy a red cabbage to make it sometime this week, so my recipe isn’t as precise or exact as it could be. If you’d rather follow an exact recipe then check out this one on Kalyn’s Kitchen, if you’re happy to follow some vague ideas then keep reading.

A lot of the recipes I found used vingar or some sort, apples, and chicken stock\broth. So here’s what I did.

  • Red Cabbage.
  • A couple of apples.
  • Olive Oil
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • A chicken stock cube and hot water (you could use a couple of cans chicken broth, or some homemade chicken stock)
  • Salt and Pepper

Chop the cabbage finely and peal and chop the apples.

Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a pan with a lid. (I used a big frying pan, but any pan that you can put the lid on would do). Put the cabbage and apple in and saute for about 5 or 10 minutes (I would generally start thowing the cabbage and apple in the pan once I’d begun to cut it up, to get it off the chopping board so I could keep cutting the next bit)

Once it’s begun to wilt add about 5 fluid ounces (about 2/3 cup) red wine vinegar and enough chicken stock\hot water to cover the cabbage. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until tender. (I think maybe 30-40 minutes. As I said, I haven’t made this in a long time!)

The vinegar combined with the sweetness of the apple give this dish a sort of sweet and sour taste.

No comments: