Sunday 17 August 2008

It's a cauliflower?

(Originally posted by Bekki)

I ate 2 new veggies today, Romanesco and Swiss Chard.

I’ve often looked at Romanesco and marvelled as it. It looks like a space age plant or a fractal diagram.  It’s a sort of cauliflower, basically and I’m not really a fan of cauliflower, so I’ve not tried it before, but today I did. I roasted it with red onion and spices (chilli flakes, garam masala, garlic, fresh and dried ginger, black pepper) and olive oil. (30 minutes at gas mark 6, er, 400F I think). It was pretty good. Mostly because it tasted of all those spices.

I also had swiss chard. I wilted it by putting it in a saucepan with water for about 5 minutes, squeezed it out, chopped it up and mixed it with a tin of chickpeas (drained), some black pepper, oregano, a few pine nuts and a little olive oil and crumbled some low fat feta on the top. It had about 15 minutes in a hot oven. It was very yummy!

Lots of leftovers to have cold for lunch tomorrow and to keep in the freezer for another day.


No comments: