Sunday 17 August 2008

Jerusalem Artichokes

(Originally posted by Anita)


… are not a type of artichoke, but rather, a tuber from a type of sunflower. And for the pretty price of your first born child, you too, can eat them.  Okay, they weren’t as pricey as truffles. I guess that is also a veggie I’ve never eaten due to the cost. (but I have tasted truffle oil)

I went to the Public Market today and found some Jerusalem Artichokes for the hefty price of $5.99 a pound. We won’t be eating them again. Not because they weren’t tasty, but there are a whole lot of other tasty nutritional vegetables that are way cheaper. But for you folks… we splurged and tried them.

They looked small - like baby potatoes. Outside they were brown like potatoes, but inside they look like radishes - white and sort of translucent. I don’t know how to describe the taste… more earthy than potatoes but with a crunchy radish texture. It’s like the difference between white flour and wheat flour. The internet uses “nutty” to describe the flavor. I can sort of see that.

We made a roasted vegetable medley with Jerusalem Artichokes, brussel sprouts, carrots and mushrooms tossed in olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. Altogether it was tasty.

And now, don’t ask me to find another veggie that I’ve never eaten before. The only other thing I could find was Taro Root and they just sounded nasty!  Still… I could do veggies I’ve eaten but never cooked at home… or new recipe with old standby veggies.

No comments: