Sunday 17 August 2008

Tami's Pumpkin Cranberry Bread

(Originally posted by Tami)

So, a history of this bread…yeah…there is none.  On Saturday I was canning pumpkin butter.  It’s really bad for you and although I VERY rarely eat it (used to eat tons) people love it.  I even have a gal that purchases it from me to give to her family members as Christmas gifts.  Anyways.  On Saturday I roasted my pumpkin, made the butter and had pumpkin puree left that I really didn’t want to toss in the garbage.  I decided it was time to play. 

This recipe looks huge and is.  I made 3 dozen mini muffins (great for a snack size…portion control dontcha know) 1 dozen regular muffins and an 8×3 bread pan.  This freezes WONDERFULLY…I pulled out the loaf this morning for the kids and it is still so moist.  I do puree my own pumpkin so this recipe has not been tried with the store bought stuff.  If you buy pumpkin from the store get the pure pumpkin puree.

 

15oz pumpkin puree

4 eggs

1/2c. canola oil

2/3 c. water

2 c. pure maple syrup (it is a lot…I tried 1 1/2 c. and the batter just didn’t seem quite there)

3 1/2 c. whole wheat flour

2tsp baking powder

2 tsp baking soda

1tsp cinnamon

1tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1/4 tsp ground ginger

Cranberries and chopped pecans to taste

1. Mix the dry ingredients

2. In a seperate bowl blend the pumpkin eggs, and oil.  Add the water and syrup.  Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients.  With a spatula (or whatever) mix in fresh cranberries and chopped pecans to suit you.  Pour into greased bread pans or muffin pans and bake at 350F until knife inserted in center is clean.  I made all 3 different sizes at one time so my best guess is that it takes roughly 50 mins for the 8×3 bread pan.

No comments: