Sunday 17 August 2008

Is it still Friday?

(Originally posted by DebbieBoo)

I did a smoothie experiment today that didn’t go too smoothly.  Hmm…I didn’t intend for that to be a pun, but whatev.

My mom has been reading up on the nutritional value of coconut oil and we decided to incorporate it into our diet.  Basically you can substitute it for oils you cook with or eat it straight up.  They recommend, for the best results, to have at least two tablespoons a day.  It’s creamy and, despite the name, doesn’t have an overwhelming coconut taste.  You can definitely taste the coconut but it’s not too overbearing.

Anywho, as I started drinking a Dannon Light & Fit Smoothie this morning I had a flashback of a former college roommate who bought a similar drink and dumped it into the blender with a bunch of other stuff.  So I thought I’d do the same!

About an hour later (after I added everything into the blender I realized it wasn’t working; apparently it had been in the washing machine w/o being taken apart so I figured water sitting on it caused the screw to rust and stick.  It took some time to get it cleaned aftereventually loosening the screw with WD-40) my concoction was completed and it was ok.  Wonder if it would have been better had it not been for the delay.  Anywho, here’s what I blended:

1 C frozen strawberries
1 serving Dannon Light & Fit Smoothie (I used mixed berry)
1 banana (ok, I actually didn’t have this but I would have added it if I had one)

I originally added a T of coconut oil but that wasn’t very wise - when it got cold it hardened and stuck together.  DUH!  So after I blended it all I melted the coconut oil and added it to the drink as I stirred, making little frozen bits rather than a big clump.

If it doesn’t sound that great it’s cause it wasn’t.  So I wouldn’t necessarily recommend making one.  :)   I might experiment w/ it again when I have bananas.

I also have a very simple coffee drink.  I call it my “Holiday Blend.”  It’s a nice treat on a cold morning . . . which we will probably no longer have here in Houston — today was 80+ degrees!  But I digress . . .
1 serving of strong coffee
1-2 T International House Sugar-Free Hazlenut Coffee Creamer
2-3 drops of peppermint extract
1-2 dashes of cinnamon

Basically I just mix it all together and enjoy!  If it’s a particularly large mug I might add a bit of Stevia (to satisfy my sweet tooth).  And that’s why I varied the measurements of ingredients.  It all depends on your personal taste.  But I DEFINITELY recommend this drink!  Even if it’s not cold outside or the holidays.

I hope this post counts for Food Friday.  It’s well into Saturday here, but I’m pretty sure it’s still Friday somewhere . . .

No comments: