Sunday 17 August 2008

Apple Cake (with a hat-tip to the oatmeal muffin)

Several things inspired me to try this. First of all, HP was talking about making apple cake last week (in the end she made something else I think), but that reminded me of the yummy combination of apple, cake and of course cinnamon. Then I was having porridge cravings yesterday, I belive it was - and the way I cook that is to add an apple, finely chopped with the oats, and then cook in the microwave.

Anyway, that led me to think about the oatmeal muffins. I made some of those the other day, and decided I would like them more if there were slightly less ‘airy’ and had a bit more crunch or bite in them somehow. I though about adding chucks of apple to the muffins, but then decided to try using the batter instead of ‘normal’ cake mix, and then sticking the apple bits in and topping with cinnamon.

I took the recipe blest posted (I believe from the South Beach Diet Cookbook) Here’s a link to that and this is what I did

3/4 cup oats
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour or whole grain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon + more to shake over the top
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup applesauce (I made this myself by gently stewing some bramley apples, because I’ve not found it sold here like it is in the States)
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup real maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large apples, with the skin left on. Cored, and cut into thin slices

Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 / 180C / 350F

Line a tin (I used 7″ by 13″) with baking paper or grease well with cooking spray.

In a small bowl, combine the oats and the buttermilk. Let soak for 30 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and walnuts. In a large bowl, stir together the oil, eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla until well blended. Stir in the oat mixture. Stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Do not overmix.

Pour the batter into the baking tray and arrange the cut pieces of apple in the mix, so that the apple skin points out to the sky. Dredge Sprinkle with cinnamon (I like lots!).

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool on a rack and then cut into pieces.

Originally I cut them so that I had 16 bits, but having eaten one of those I would say that actually it would be better to make 24 or even 32 bits (They are very filling). I have no idea of the nutritional info on those, so I shall stop typing now!

(I can’t get the pictures to show up, buthere’s a picture of the piece I ate over on my food pics blog)

No comments: